I may or may not have an addiction to Thai sweet chili sauce. If you have tried it, I’m sure you understand my addiction. Almost every single time I go to an Asian market I try a new brand of sweet chili sauce. I have about 6 different kinds of it in my fridge right now. Yes I know, I have an issue.
After trying billions of brands I came to realize the Thai sweet chili sauce that has my heart is the Mae Ploy brand. I have been able to find this at my local grocery store, but if you can’t, here is a link to buy it on Amazon. Thai sweet chili sauce: Amazon
This link to Amazon comes with 2 bottles of this magical stuff! We go through this sauce like water in my household. I always know when my husband thinks my dinner doesn’t have quite enough flavor; he hauls out of the kitchen with a massive bottle of sweet chili sauce and dumps it all over his meal.
To make this meal you will also need fish sauce and mushroom soy sauce. I am confident that all my readers should own these two sauces by now. If not, here they are on Amazon! Fish sauce: Amazon Any brand of fish sauce will do, this is just my personal favorite. Mushroom soy sauce: Amazon This is one of the best soy sauces ever made!
If you purchase one of these through my Amazon links I make a small portion. Thanks for helping me out!
This Thai sweet chili chicken is actually something I made up, so you wont be able to order this at a Thai restaurant. This dish is so easy and takes just around 15 minutes to whip up. I normally have all the ingredients to make it on hand already.
Lets start our prep work! First mince the garlic, thinly slice the shallots, quarter the lime, and chop the green onions (keeping some of the white bottoms). Take a paper towel and dab the excess juice off the chicken and cut the chicken into bite sized pieces. Take a medium bowl and toss the chicken in flour to lightly coat.
When making Thai food the process goes super fast because it is cooked on such a high heat, that’s why you need to have everything fully prepped.
In a small bowl combine the sweet chili sauce, fish sauce, mushroom soy sauce, and lime juice and set aside.
Can you believe that’s all the prep work? So simple. Now we start to cook! Go get your wok and let’s get started.
Add the minced garlic and oil to the wok and turn it on high. Fry the garlic until fragrant (making sure not to burn it), then add the chicken. Cook stirring occasionally until the chicken is almost completely cooked through. If the chicken seems to dry add more oil.
Next, add the shallots and fry for an additional minute, stirring frequently. Add 1/4 cup of water and the sauce mixture, be stirring constantly. Cook until the chicken is fully cooked and the shallots are soft for about 3 minutes.
Serve over jasmine rice and top with green onions and additional lime wedges.
One more picture to make you hungry!
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast
- 2 shallots
- 3-4 green onions
- 1 lime
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 tbsp. mushroom soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp. oil
- Mince the garlic, thinly slice the shallots, quarter the lime, and chop the green onions (keeping some of the white bottoms).
- Dab the chicken off with a paper towel to remove excess moisture, and cut the chicken into bite sized pieces. In a large bowl, toss the chicken in flour to thinly coat.
- Mix the fish sauce, mushroom soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, and juice from 1/2 of the lime in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add the garlic and oil to a wok or large pan and turn on high. Fry the garlic until fragrant, then add the chicken. Cook stirring occasionally until the chicken is almost completely cooked through. Add more oil if the chicken seems dry.
- Add the shallots and fry for about 1 minute, then add the water and sauce mixture. Stir frequently, and cook until the chicken is fully cooked and the shallots are soft (about 3 minutes).
- Serve over jasmine rice and top with desired amount of green onions and additional lime. ENJOY!