There are few things better than fried rice on this planet. I can’t think of many anyways. Most of the time I just want to swim in a big bowl of it! I know, maybe that’s a little overboard, but gosh I love this stuff.
When I was a little girl living in Thailand, our maid would make this delish Thai style fried rice. She called it kids fried rice. Kids fried rice is the perfect name because kids love this stuff! And any grown up would be crazy not to love this as well. This recipe is super easy and flavorful, you may even be sad you just now stumbled upon this glorious rice and went through life without it until this point!
Lets get started.
First for the sauces you will need oyster sauce, fish sauce, thin soy sauce, ketchup, and pork seasoning.
Obviously getting ahold of the ketchup will not be a problem, but if you are struggling to find these other products or don’t have access to an Asian market, here are links to buy these on Amazon.
Oyster sauce: Amazon
Fish sauce: Amazon
Thin soy sauce: Amazon
Pork seasoning: Amazon
First mince the garlic, thinly slice the onion, finely chop the cilantro, and cut the hot dogs in rounds. Crack the eggs into a small bowl and mix them well, set aside.
Next heat your wok or large frying pan on high and add oil and the garlic. Fry the garlic until fragrant (making sure not to burn the garlic) about 30 seconds.
Add the onion and stir frequently for about a minute, then add the hot dogs and cook an additional 2 minutes. Push the hot dogs and onions to one side of your wok and scramble the eggs on the other side.
Once the eggs are cooked, mix everything together and add the rice. Cook for about 2 minutes, then add thee sauces and cilantro. Cook for about 3 minutes or until the rice is soft and golden brown!
It doesn’t get much easier than that folks!! Top this glorious rice with Nam Pla Prik (fish sauce, birds eye chilies, and lime) and ENJOY!!!
- 3 cups Jasmine rice (leftover works best)
- 1 small yellow onion (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 3 eggs
- 5 hot dogs
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp. oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tbsp. thin soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. ketchup
- 1/2 tsp pork seasoning
- mince the garlic, thinly slice the onion, finely chop the cilantro, cut the hot dogs into thin rounds, crack the eggs into a small bowl and mix them, then set aside.
- heat your wok or large pan on high and add oil and the garlic, fry until fragrant without burning (for about 30 seconds) then add the onion and stir frequently for about a minute
- add the hot dogs and cook for an additional 2 minutes, then push the hot dogs and onions to one side and scramble the eggs on the other side (you may need to turn the head down to medium)
- once the eggs are cooked, mix everything together and add the rice, cook for about 2 minutes (constantly stirring) then add the sauces and cilantro
- cook for about 3 more minutes or until the rice is soft and slightly charred. Serve with Nam Pla Prik! ENJOY!!