Are you ready for another super simple Thai recipe? I thought so. Nam Prik Ong in Thailand is traditionally served as a dip for cucumbers. There is no better dip for a cucumber if you ask me. I started eating it over jasmine rice when I was a kid and now I’m full on addicted, serving it over rice makes it into more of a main dish rather than an appetizer.
To make this dish you will need mushroom soy sauce, fish sauce, and pork seasoning. If you can’t find these at the store here are the links to purchase them from Amazon! Mushroom soy sauce: Amazon Fish sauce: Amazon Pork seasoning: Amazon
Alright time to go grab your cutting board and start getting to work. Start with finely chopping the shallot and the garlic. Chop the cilantro and grape tomatoes as small as you can get them. Also chop a cucumber if you’ve decided to buy one and experience this amazing dish as a dip.
Grab a wok or large pan, turn your stove top on medium high and add a some olive oil, shallots, crushed pepper flakes and garlic and cook until the shallots are slightly soft and garlic is fragrant. Add the ground pork and stir frequently, when the pork is about halfway cooked through add the tomatoes, cilantro, sugar, pork seasoning, coriander, mushroom soy sauce, tomato paste, and fish sauce ( I guess I could have just told you to throw every single ingredient in, oh well).
Don’t forget to be stirring constantly. Continue to fry on medium high heat until the ground pork is cooked thoroughly. That’s it! The meal is done! Easy peasy.
There she is served with cukes!
And there she is over jasmine rice.
- •1 lb. ground pork
- •1 shallot
- •1 cup chopped grape tomatoes
- •1 cup cilantro
- •3 cloves garlic
- •1 1/2 tsp coriander
- •1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- •1 tsp pork seasoning
- •2 tbsp. fish sauce
- •2 tbsp. mushroom soy sauce
- •1 tbsp. sugar
- •1 cucumber (optional)
- First finely mince the garlic and shallot, chop the grape tomatoes and cilantro (both into very small pieces).
- Add about a tbsp. of olive oil to a wok or large pan and fry the shallot and garlic on medium high until soft and fragrant.
- Add the pork stirring frequently, once the pork is cooked about halfway through add all the other ingredients and fry on medium heat until the pork is cooked through ( about 5 minutes). Serve with cucumbers or over jasmine rice. Enjoy!