I have literally never seen Thai rice soup (porridge) on the menu at any Thai restaurant here in the states. So depressing, because this stuff rocks! It’s mostly eaten for breakfast in Thailand, but it’s amazing anytime of the day!
Thai rice soup is super healthy and also very filling, I feel like that’s super hard to find in food! Oh, and its pretty easy to make too! You’re welcome. My house feels like an ice berg while I’m writing this blog and oh what I would do for a bowl of this right now! Anyways most of the ingredients you should either have on hand or have no problem finding at a grocery store.
For the sauces you will need fish sauce, thin soy sauce, and oyster sauce. The thin soy sauce may have to be purchased at an Asian market, I have yet to see it at my local grocery stores. If you don’t have access to an Asian market or are lazy here are all the sauces on Amazon. God bless Amazon.
Fish sauce: Amazon
Thin soy sauce: Amazon
Oyster sauce: Amazon This brand is literally amazing!!
You will also need fried garlic which you are welcome to make yourself, but honestly who has time for that? Here it is on Amazon: Amazon
This fried garlic really makes the dish so please don’t skip it, thanks.
Feel free to use fresh ginger rather than this paste, i just love convenience so i opted for this! Ok lets get started.
Finely slice the green onion keeping the green and white parts, finely chop the cilantro, smash the lemongrass bottoms (cut off the thin tops and throw away), and smash the garlic cloves.
Eggs are optional but are an awesome addition. You can either soft boil or hard boil them, and set aside.
In a medium bowl mix the ground meat, a handful of cilantro, oyster sauce, and thin soy sauce. Form into small bite sized balls.
Heat a large pot on medium high, add the chicken stock, lemongrass, smashed garlic, ginger paste, fried garlic, white pepper, fish sauce, and thin soy sauce. Stir well.
Boil for about 5 to 7 minutes, then add the meatballs, cook until the meat is cooked through. Discard lemongrass, then add the rice and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Top with cilantro, green onions, and an egg! So easy right ??
I won’t even lie to you guys, i definitely was trying to make a soft boiled egg…..clearly that didn’t pan out! ENJOY!!!!
- For the meatballs
- 1/2 lb ground chicken, pork, or turkey
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/2 tbsp. thin soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. oyster sauce
- For the Soup
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 stalks lemongrass
- 2 green onions
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 tsp ginger paste (or one small piece of fresh ginger)
- 2 tsps. fried garlic
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 tbsp. thin soy sauce
- 32 oz. chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups jasmine rice
- Finely slice the green onions (keeping both green and white parts), finely chop the cilantro, cut the thin ends off of the lemongrass and discard, smash the lemongrass, and crush the garlic cloves
- Soft boil or hard boil the eggs and set aside
- In a small bowl mix together the ground meat, a handful of cilantro, 1/2 tbsp. of thin soy sauce, and 1 tbsp. oyster sauce, form into bite sized balls and set aside
- Heat a large pot on medium high heat and add the stock, lemongrass, garlic cloves, ginger paste, fried garlic, white pepper, fish sauce, and thin soy sauce. Stir well
- Boil for 5 to 7 minutes then add the meatballs, cook until the meat is cooked through, discard lemongrass, then add the rice and cook an additional 5 minutes
- Top with cilantro, green onion, and cooked egg. ENJOY!!!